By A.D. Smith
- Old Japan: Shrines, Temples, Castles and Gardens
- Off-beat Attractions
- Hot Springs
- Events and Festivals in Japan
- Sakura and Ume: Flowers of Japan
- Theme Parks
- Fall Foliage
- Japan Tours
- Attractions by Region
- Attractions by City
- Sports and Outdoor Activities
Old Japan: Shrines, Temples, Castles and Gardens
If you go to Japan, you must visit a shrine, temple and castle, or you might as well stay home.
- Meiji Shrine's Fit for an Emperor
- Everyone's Temple: Senso-ji
- A Solemn Song for Zojo-ji
- Step into Historic Konpira Temple
- 12 Oldest Castles in Japan
- Tokyo's Roots: Early Edo Gardens
- Ritsurin Garden: Beauty in Full Bloom
- A Garden to Pine Over
Run a race, make a fan, tour a train station. Make the most of your trip.
Japan is well-known for its many volcanoes, and consequently there are a lot of hot springs all over Japan. Soak up the tradition.
- The Naked Truth About Onsen
- Popular Hot Springs in Japan
- Soak Up Traditional Japan in Matsuyama
- Matsuyama Inns That Make a Splash
Events and Festivals in Japan
Many types of festivals and events are held throughout the year in Japan. Some are traditional events, and others are rather modern. Find events you are interested in visiting from here.
- Countdown to New Year in Tokyo
- New Year's Celebrations in Japan
- Plum Blossom Festivals
- Traditional Japanese Festivals
Sakura and Ume: Flowers of Japan
In spring, cherry blossoms, or sakura, can be viewed all over in Japan. Check when is the best time and place.
- Plum Parks in Japan
- Cherry Blossom Destination Map
- Cherry Blossom Travel Planner
- Cherry Blossom Photo Gallery
Are you visiting Japan with your children? Consider an amusement park.
- Popular Theme Parks in Japan
- Water Parks in Japan
- Tokyo Amusement Parks
- Food-related Theme parks
- Featured Park: Miyazaki's Museum
Few visit Japan in the fall. That's too bad. The foliage can rival the best in New England.
- True Colors of Japan
- Autumn in Japan
- Destinations for Fall Foliages
- Japanese Maples and Fall Foliage Pictures
Japan offer visitors various entertainment options, such as traditional Japanese theaters, concerts, movies, dances, and more.
If you are visiting Japan for the first time or don't have lot of time to spend in Japan, you might want to join a guided tour to look around. Here are some of them.
Attractions by Region
Attractions in Hokkaiodo, Honshu, Shikoku, and Kinki regions are listed.
Attractions by City
Here are attractions in cities of main tourist interest.
Sports and Outdoor Activities
Here are some activities to spend some time outside in Japan.